Jackie Zhi Yao
Alvarez Postdoctoral Researcher, Computational Research Division
Affiliation and Research Interests
I am the 2019 Alvarez Postdoctoral Scholar in the
Computational Research Division
of the Computing Sciences Area
at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
I have a combined background of computational science and domain sciences of waves, materials, and wireless techniques.
I currently target at modeling multiphysics coupling effects previously disregarded due to the difficulty in existing numerical solutions.
In this new approach, I intend to include linear/nonlinear effects from quantum to classical, nanometer to centimeter (multiscale),
and DC to THz (multi-temporal), providing a pathway to engineer light-matter interaction of critical importance to future devices and computation methods.
Specifically, currently I'm working on the modeling and design of quantum computing testbed, focusing on the interaction between photons and
superconducting qubits. In the meantime, I also work on the development of multi-physics software under the framework of
AMReX , with features of massively
parallel computing and block-structured adaptive mesh refinement (AMR).
I received the Ph.D. degree in December of 2017 from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and continued pursuing research
as a postdoc until September of 2019. During my graduate study,
my research has been centered on using new physical coupling in potential electronic devices. This
includes modeling and characterization of miniaturized magnetic components in radio-frequency (RF)
systems, specifically nonlinear dynamic magnetic spin oscillations interacting with EM waves. I have
developed a numerical algorithm to predict the influence of magnetic spins on the performance
of compact RF devices, including strain-mediated antennas. Such modeling tools enable a unique ability
to accurately model and design next-generation RF systems and components.
- Z. Yao, S. Tiwari, T. Lu, J. Rivera, K. Luong, R. N. Candler, G. P. Carman and Y. E. Wang. Modeling of multiple dynamics in the radiation of bulk acoustic wave (BAW) antennas.
IEEE Journal on Multiscale and Multiphysics Comput. Techniques, Dec. 2019.
- J. D. Schneider, J. P. Domann, M. K. Panduranga, S. Tiwari, P. Shirazi, Z. Yao, et al., Experimental demonstration and operating principles of a multiferroic antenna.
Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 126, 224104, Dec. 2019.
- H. Cui, Z. Yao and Y. E. Wang, Coupling electromagnetic waves to spin waves: a physics-based nonlinear circuit model for frequency-selective limiters .
IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 67, pp. 3221-3229, Jun. 2019.
- Z. Yao, R. U. Tok, T. Itoh and Y. E. Wang, A multiscale, unconditionally stable time-domain (MUST) solver unifying electrodynamics and micromagnetics .
IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 66, pp (99): 1-14, May 2018.
- Z. Yao, Y. E. Wang, S. Keller, G. P. Carman, Bulk acoustic wave mediated multiferroic antennas: architecture and performance bound .
IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag , vol. 63, pp. 3335-3344, Aug. 2015.
- Z. Yao, H. Cui, T. Itoh, and Y. E. Wang, Multiphysics time-domain modeling of nonlinear permeability in thin-film magnetic material .
Proc. IEEE International Microwave Symp. (IMS) , pp. 208-211, Jun. 2018.
- (Best Student Paper) Z. Yao and Y. E. Wang, 3D unconditionally stable FDTD modeling of micromagnetics and electrodynamics .
Proc. IEEE International Microwave Symp. (IMS) , pp. 12-15. Jun. 2017.
- H. Cui, Z. Yao, C. Tao, Y. E. Wang, Nonlinear equivalent-circuit model for thin-film magnetic material based RF devices .
Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF&THz Applications (IMWS-AMP) , pp. 1-3, Jul. 2018.
- Z. Yao and Y. E. Wang, 3D modeling of BAW-based multiferroic antennas .
Proc. IEEE International Symp. Antennas Propag. & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (APS/URSI) , pp. 1125-1126, Jul. 2017.
- Z. Yao and Y. E. Wang, 3D ADI-FDTD modeling of platform reduction with thin film ferromagnetic material .
Proc. IEEE APS/URSI , pp. 2019-2020, Jun. 2016.
- Z. Yao and Y. E. Wang, Bulk acoustic wave mediated multiferroic antennas near ferromagnetic resonance .
Proc. IEEE APS/URSI , pp. 1832-1833, Jul. 2017.
- Z. Yao, Q. Xu and Y. E. Wang, FDTD analysis of platform effect reduction with thin film ferrite .
Proc. IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium , pp. 59-61, Jan. 2015.
- Z. Yao and Y. E. Wang, Dynamic analysis of acoustic wave mediated multiferroic radiation via FDTD methods .
Proc. IEEE APS/URSI , pp. 731-732, Jul. 2014.