Research Scientist, Applied Mathematics and Computational Research Division
Ishan Srivastava is a Research Scientist in the
Applied Mathematics Department within the Computing Sciences Area at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and affiliated with the Center for Computational
Sciences and Engineering (CCSE).
His research aims to apply theory and simulation to understand the structure and dynamics of highly-deforming soft materials. A particular area of interest is the physics of granular materials and complex fluids, which are of enormous technological and natural importance. His research uses a variety of computational methods such as molecular dynamics, discrete element method, and continuum fluid and solid modeling. Such a multiscale approach to simulate these materials allows the identification of particle scale processes that govern macroscale material behavior. His research aims to develop novel computational methods in particle-scale modeling to predict microstructure-aware constitutive relationships which eventually inform the continuum modeling of these materials in practical scenarios. Some motivating applications for his research include advanced manufacturing of energy materials such as battery electrodes, and industrial handling and processing of powders and suspensions, especially in manufacturing applications.
Ishan received his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University in the summer of 2017 under the supervision of Prof. Tim Fisher, where he investigated the mechanics, rheology and transport in granular materials consisting of nonspherical particles (here is a link to the dissertation). After graduate studies, he conducted postdoctoral research with Gary Grest at Sandia National Laboratories, where he developed constitutive models of dense granular flows and high-pressure deformation of polymer nanocomposites using molecular dynamics and discrete element methods. Subsequently, he was a postdoctoral scholar with John Bell at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where he investigated the fluctuating hydrodynamics of nonequilibrium fluids and mesoscale electrokinetic transport in electrolytes through continuum solutions of the governing stochastic partial differential equations.
- I. Srivastava, D. R. Ladiges, A. Nonaka, A. L. Garcia, J. B. Bell,
Staggered Scheme for the Compressible Fluctuating Hydrodynamics of Multispecies Fluid Mixtures,
Physical Review E, 107, 015305, 2023.
- J. M. Monti, J. T. Clemmer, I. Srivastava, L. E. Silbert, G. S. Grest, J. B. Lechman,
Large-Scale Frictionless Jamming with Power-Law Particle Size Distributions,
Physical Review E, 106, 034901, 2022.
- D. R. Ladiges, J. G. Wang, I. Srivastava, S. P. Carney, A. Nonaka, A. L. Garcia, A. Donev and J. B. Bell,
Modeling Electrokinetic Flows with the Discrete Ion Stochastic Continuum Overdamped Solvent Algorithm,
Physical Review E, 106, 035104, 2022.
- A. P. Santos, I. Srivastava, L. E. Silbert, J. B. Lechman and G. S. Grest,
Fluctuations and Power-Law Scaling of Dry, Frictionless Granular Rheology Near the Hard-Particle Limit,
Physical Review Fluids, 7, 084303, 2022.
- I. Srivastava, L. E. Silbert, J. B. Lechman and G. S. Grest,
Flow and Arrest in Stressed Granular Materials,
Soft Matter, 18, 735, 2022
- W. D. Fullmer, R. Porcu, J. Musser, A. S. Almgren, I. Srivastava,
The Divergence of Nearby Trajectories in Soft-Sphere DEM
Particuology, 63, 1, 2022.
- J. T. Clemmer, I. Srivastava, G. S. Grest, J. B. Lechman,
Shear is Not Always Simple: Rate-Dependent Effects of Loading Geometry on Granular Rheology,
Physical Review Letters, 127, 268003, 2021
- I. Srivastava, S. A. Roberts, J. T. Clemmer, L. E. Silbert, J. B. Lechman, G. S. Grest,
Jamming of Bidisperse Frictional Spheres,
Physical Review Research, 3(3), L032042, 2021.
- I. Srivastava, L. E. Silbert, G. S. Grest and J. B. Lechman,
Viscometric Flow of Dense Granular Materials under Controlled Pressure and Shear Stress,
Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 907(A18), 1, 2021
- A. P. Santos, D. S. Bolintineanu, G. S. Grest, J. B. Lechman, S. J. Plimpton, I. Srivastava, and L. E. Silbert,
Granular Packings with Sliding, Rolling and Twisting Friction,
Physical Review E, 102, 032903, 2020
- I. Srivastava, D. S. Bolintineanu, J. B. Lechman and S. A. Roberts,
Controlling Binder Adhesion to Impact Electrode Mesostructure and Transport,
ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 12, 34919, 2020.
- I. Srivastava, J. B. Lechman, G. S. Grest and L. E. Silbert,
Evolution of Internal Granular Structure at the Flow-Arrest Transition,
Granular Matter, 22(2), 1-8, 2020.
- J. M. D. Lane, A. P. Thompson, I. Srivastava, G. S. Grest, T. Ao, B. Stoltzfus, K. Austin, H. Fan, D. Morgan, M. D. Knudson,
Scale and Rate in CdS Pressure-Induced Phase Transition,
AIP Conference Proceedings (Shock Compression of Condensed Matter 2019), 2272(1), 100016, 2020.
- I. Srivastava, L. E. Silbert, G. S. Grest and J. B. Lechman,
Flow-Arrest Transitions in Frictional Granular Matter,
Physical Review Letters, 122(4), 048003, 2019.
- I. Srivastava, B. L. Peters, J. M. D. Lane, H. Fan, K. M. Salerno and G. S. Grest,
Mechanics of Gold Nanoparticle Superlattices at High Hydrostatic Pressures,
The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 123(28), 17530, 2019.
- K. M. Salerno, D. S. Bolintineanu, G. S. Grest, J. B. Lechman, S. J. Plimpton, I. Srivastava and L. E. Silbert,
Effect of Shape and Friction on the Packing and Flow of Granular Materials,
Physical Review E, 98(5), 050901, 2018.
- J. M. D. Lane, K. M. Salerno, I. Srivastava, G. S. Grest and H. Fan,
Modeling Pressure-Driven Assembly of Polymer Coated Nanoparticles,
AIP Conference Proceedings (Shock Compression of Condensed Matter 2017), 1979(1), 090007, 2018.
- I. Srivastava and T. S. Fisher,
Slow Creep in Soft Granular Packings,
Soft Matter, 13(18), 3411, 2017.
- L. Y. Leung, C. Mao, I. Srivastava, P. Du and C. Y. Yang,
Flow Function of Pharmaceutical Powders Is Predominantly Governed by Cohesion, Not by Friction Coefficients,
Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 106(7), 1865, 2017.
- R. Kantharaj, I. Srivastava, K. R. Thaker, A. U. Gaitonde, A. Bruce, J. Howarter, T. S. Fisher, A. M. Marconnet,
Thermal Conduction in Graphite Flake-Epoxy Composites using Infrared Microscopy,
Proceedings of the 16th IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems, 1-7, 2017.
- K. C. Smith, I. Srivastava, T. S. Fisher and M. Alam,
Variable-Cell Method for Stress-Controlled Jamming of Athermal, Frictionless Grains,
Physical Review E, 89(4), 042203, 2014.
- I. Srivastava, S. Sadasivam, K. C. Smith and T. S. Fisher,
Combined Microstructure and Heat Conduction Modeling of Heterogeneous Interfaces and Materials,
Journal of Heat Transfer, 135(6), 061603, 2013.
- I. Srivastava, K. C. Smith and T. S. Fisher,
Shear-Induced Failure in Jammed Nanoparticle Assemblies,
AIP Conference Proceedings (Powders and Grains 2013), 1542(1), 86, 2013.